About the production
Pop-up Globe Youth Theatre is seeking the best young actors aged 15-24 to fill a strictly limited cast for The Two Gentlemen of Verona, our very first production on the Pop-up Globe Stage this winter. Applications can be made through our online application form, accompanied by your CV and headshot. If selected, you will attend a full day workshop with our director Rita Stone and Assistant Director Julia Guthrey, to see if you are right for a role in the production. You will need to prepare a 2 minute monologue from any Shakespeare play, bring a musical instrument if you can play one, and get ready to show us if you can sing and dance too!
Auditions will take place at Pop-up Globe, Ellerslie, Auckland.
APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED.
Audition Workshop (all day) – Sunday 26 May 10am – 4pm
First rehearsal: Sunday 9 June 10am – 4pm
School Holiday rehearsals (lines must be learnt by this time!):
- Week one – Monday 8 July – Saturday 13 July 9.30-4pm
- Week Two – Tuesday 16 July – Saturday 20 July 9.30-4pm
Performances: Sunday 21 July (call time 12pm – 8pm)
- Does it cost anything to audition?
- No, it is free to audition.
- Does it cost anything to be in the production?
- If you are successfully cast, a one off fee of $300 is payable within one week of casting to secure your place in the youth production.
- Are there scholarships available for this?
- Unfortunately not this time. We have scholarships available for our term classes and hope to have them available for future productions.
- I can’t make the audition date, can I self-tape or audition another day?
- Unfortunately no; part of the audition workshop process is to meet you in person and see you working alongside other actors.
- I can’t make some of the rehearsal dates – can I still audition?
- You will only be eligible to audition or be cast if you are available to commit to all of the rehearsal and performance dates.
- Do I need to have any experience performing Shakespeare?
- No you do not, but it would be an advantage if you did, and places in the cast are strictly limited.
- What do I need to prepare for the audition?
- You need to prepare a 2 minute monologue to perform at the audition, and you need to bring a musical instrument if you can play something, and prepare a song if you can sing! Be ready to move and dance and play at the workshop audition.
- How do I apply?
- APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
Information about the Director:
Rita Stone trained at the UNITEC School of Performing Arts as an actor and has worked as an actor, tutor and director ever since. She founded the Legacy Shakespeare Company in 1999 and worked in London’s West End in 2005-2006, where she also trained briefly at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. Rita is a NZ-registered high school teacher of Drama and English and has taught at UNITEC, The Actors’ Program and Massey University. In 2011 she travelled to London again to study at Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre as an educator under the Shakespeare Globe Centre NZ’s Teachers Go Global programme and the following year she founded the Young Auckland Shakespeare Company, running classes, workshops and productions of Shakespeare for 14-24 year olds. Rita directed the gender-reversed Julius Caesar for Pop-up Globe’s third season, and this year Rita has taken up the position of Youth Development Manager at Pop-up Globe.